- Able to quickly learn new technologies and apply them to solve real business problems
- Able to effectively explain, train, and deploy new methods and patterns across a technical organization (without resorting to managerial mandate)
- Broad experience that spans the technical landscape, including desktop support, systems administration, datacenter operations, desktop & web software development
- Able to communicate effectively—verbally and in writing—across multiple disciplines—engineering, marketing, product management, project management, sales, and accounting
- Readily adaptable to heterogeneous team structures and organizational environments.
- A strong track record of eagerly tackling and solving difficult, complex technical and business problems—often after others have given up on them
I have experience writing, shipping, and operating production software and systems using the following technologies (not exhaustive):
- SQL Server
- Linux (RHEL/CentOS, Debian/Ubuntu)
- Mac OS X (Client & Server)
- Windows (NT 4/2000/2008/2012)
August 2016 – Present
- Senior Solutions Engineer
- Assist with transition to Triton Public Cloud for biometric authentication backend for use by financial institutions.
January 2009 – August 2016
- Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations (September 2015 – August 2016)
- Software Development Manager (June 2012 – September 2015)
- Dev Lead (March 2011 – June 2012)
- Software Developer (January 2009 – March 2011)
- Led and managed 35+ engineers and team leads, including datacenter operations, core web services, and e-commerce systems
- Provided technical architecture leadership and guidance for web services and infrastructure across the engineering organization
- Re-architected and overhauled the SDLC for e-commerce web applications and services, including the introduction of continuous delivery
- Co-led the design and rollout (in 2011-2012) of a service-oriented architecture using HTTP APIs while applying principles of domain-driven design and continuous delivery (what people now call "Microservices")
- Successfully overhauled enterprise engineering project workflow to help prioritize projects based on expected business value rather than (only) internal politics
- Implemented various features for flagship desktop application on Mac and Windows.
- Designed and implemented book photo ingest, OCR, text and image processing pipeline for http://books.logos.com
June 2006 – September 2008
- Sr Software Engineer (January 2008 – September 2008)
- Director of Technology (January 2007 – December 2007)
- Software Engineer (June 2006 – December 2006)
- Maintained and enhanced company's flagship web-based crisis communication software (Java, ColdFusion, MySQL).
- Worked on the development of company's "next generation" web-based communications platform (Java, Spring MVC, Hibernate, MySQL).
- Administered highly-available primary and failover Linux server cluster(s) for the company's flagship application (LVS/heartbeat/ldirectord, MySQL replication).
- University of Washington, 1996-1997 (No Degree)