- Able to quickly grasp and learn new technologies and apply them to solve real business problems
- Able to effectively explain, train, and roll out new methods and patterns across a technical organization —without resorting to managerial mandate
- Able to communicate effectively—verbally and in writing—across multiple disciplines—engineering, marketing, product management, project management, sales, and accounting
- Success working in and leading/managing others in heterogeneous team structures and organizational environments—remote/work-from-home, satellite office, and central office
- A strong track record of building teams with high-trust, empathetic, collaborative cultures
- A strong track record of eagerly tackling and solving difficult, complex technical and business problems—often after others have given up on them
- Broad experience spanning all levels of the proverbial stack, including systems administration, datacenter operations, site reliability engineering, and software engineering for web and desktop
I have experience writing, shipping, and operating production software and systems using the following technologies (not exhaustive, in no particular order):
- SQL Server
- Linux (RHEL/CentOS, Debian/Ubuntu)
- Mac OS X (Client & Server)
April 2018 – Present
- Chief Architect
August 2016 – April 2018
- Senior Solutions Engineer
- Guide transition to Joyent's cloud for a high-traffic biometric authentication backend for use by financial institutions.
- Added initial support for Joyent's object store (Manta) to HashiCorp's Terraform
- Facilitate private migration/extensions into Joyent's public cloud for multiple customers, including Global 15 companies
- Advise and assist customers about how to adopt cloud native infrastructure management and application deployment best practices
January 2009 – August 2016
- Director of Engineering (September 2015 – August 2016)
- Software Development Manager (June 2012 – September 2015)
- Dev Lead (March 2011 – June 2012)
- Software Developer (January 2009 – March 2011)
- Directly led and managed dozens of engineers and their team leads, including datacenter operations, core web services, and e-commerce systems
- Provided technical architecture leadership and guidance for web services and infrastructure across the engineering organization (90+ engineers)
- Re-architected and overhauled the SDLC for e-commerce web applications and services, including the introduction of continuous delivery
- Co-led the design and rollout (in 2011-2013) of a service-oriented architecture using HTTP APIs while applying principles of domain-driven design and continuous delivery (what people now call "Microservices")
- Successfully overhauled enterprise engineering project workflow to help prioritize projects based on expected business value rather than (only) internal politics
- Implemented various features for flagship desktop application on Mac and Windows.
- Designed and implemented book photo ingest, OCR, text and image processing pipeline for http://books.logos.com
June 2006 – September 2008
- Sr Software Engineer (January 2008 – September 2008)
- Director of Technology (January 2007 – December 2007)
- Software Engineer (June 2006 – December 2006)
- Maintained and enhanced company's flagship web-based crisis communication software (Java, ColdFusion, MySQL).
- Worked on the development of company's "next generation" web-based communications platform (Java, Spring MVC, Hibernate, MySQL).
- Administered highly-available primary and failover Linux server cluster(s) for the company's flagship application (LVS/heartbeat/ldirectord, MySQL replication).
- University of Washington, 1996-1997 (No Degree)